Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Preach the Gospel

"Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words."
That's a quote frequently attributed to St. Francis of Assisi.  Various sources are conflicted about whether or not he actually said it, but it's a quote I like.  I am much more comfortable with people noticing my beliefs than having to tell them about what I believe.  My prayer life is very private...I'm not sure the people who share the same house as me even know when or how I pray.  I hope they know that I do, but I don't sit down in the living room to study my Bible or say my morning prayers...those things happen in my bedroom and, more often than not, the door is closed.  I'm not saying I live a perfect life...far from it.  The times I fail to live up to the ideal in just one day would make a lengthy list, but I try.  At the same time, we all know it's true that we have to speak about our faith at times.  As a Catholic School teacher, it's part of my job (and, I believe, an important part).  It's just not something I feel like I do well when put "on the spot."  I think that's part of the reason I started a blog.  Even if no one reads it, I'm putting my thoughts and ideas out there, having time to think about what I want to say and how I want to say it.  That will help in the "on the spot" moments, and if someone does actually read it, I might even get some feedback or start a conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I totally agree that putting your thoughts in a blog is a great idea! I have a best friend that I write to every day. As it turns out I end up writing about my faith walk to her and I am surprised at how much sharing my thoughts clarify my beliefs and where I am spiritually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! Have a great week.
    ~Monica

    ReplyDelete