Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Prayer

My prayer life has always been a bit more of a conversation on the run.  I like to think that I pray my way through life, thanking God for blessings (large and small) and asking for help when it's needed.  I do think that type of prayer is effective and important, but lately I've found that I need more.  Days when I start out with 10-15 minutes of quiet, structured, "sit down and be still" prayer and a reading or two from my Bible go better...I'm more content and at peace with life.  My attitude during weeks when I get consistent morning and evening structured prayer and reading time is so drastically different than weeks when I don't have take the time.  I want to write later about some prayers, books, and other tools that I've found helpful and inspiring, but for now, I just want to share two of my favorite morning prayers.

I remember reading about a daily offertory prayer when I was young, but I never got it written down and didn't think of it again until recently when I came across this slightly modified version that I really like.
God, my friend,
I offer you this day.
Let all my prayer, work, joy, suffering today
join with the lives offered to you
by the whole People of God
and especially with our great Eucharist,
Jesus,
your Son and our Brother.
Let your Spirit be with me today,
especially in...
And I ask your loving concern today,
especially for my friend...
Remind me, through the day, that I am not alone
Amen.
from Daily Prayers for Busy People by Fr. William J. O'Malley

As a teacher, I think it is important to pray for my students daily.  Every morning, when I walk into my classroom, I light the battery operated candles on my prayer table and offer prayers for my students.  This is a prayer I say for me...
Lord, let the joy of my days be a snare for the young;
let me lure them from lackluster lives to Life;
let my love and patience entice them to you!
Amen!
Source forgotten...oops!


No comments:

Post a Comment