Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

Theology of the Body for Beginners ~ My Thoughts

Yesterday, I finished reading Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West.  I have to admit that there really weren't any major surprises for me.  The thoughts and ideas presented and the topics covered in the book were much what I expected them to be.  That is not, however, to say that I didn't learn anything.

The main idea of Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body is that sexual union is sacred and meant to be shared between husband and wife, joined by the sacrament of marriage in a way that reflects God's "free, total, faithful, fruitful love."  It is a sacrament in itself...a physical symbol of something invisible - the union of Christ and His Church.

In this context, TOB covers the ideas of chastity, marital sex, pre-marital sex, and contraceptives.  The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) is frequently referenced.  The insights offered in this work are incredible and the book is well-written and easy to read.  I highly recommend it to anyone, but especially if you've ever wondered why the Church takes the stance it does on these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment