Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Not Even a Taste!

In my post about Catholic (Christian) Morality, I mentioned that I struggle somewhat with my weight.  I always have...mostly due to my love of chocolate and that my #1 leisure time activity is reading (you don't burn a lot of calories turning pages).  However, my weight has gone up more, recently, than ever before.  I spent several years teaching part time at 2-4 different schools to make my hours (and my checks) add up to a full time job. Those were years I spent just surviving. I'd spend the weekend trying to get ready for the next week (but usually only getting as far as Wednesday), then Monday through Wednesday evenings getting ready for Thursday and Thursday night scrambling to get ready for Friday. Saturday would roll around and I'd start all over again. I didn't have time to take care of myself and my weight reflects that. Now that I've been teaching at just one school for over a year, I've decided it's time to get serious about getting back to the weight I was at when I graduated college (or a little less).  I firmly believe that I need to take better care of my body. 

So, with this new resolve, I created a profile at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/.  It's a free calorie counter in which I can keep track of the foods that I eat and the exercise I get.  I'm sure it's not perfect, but I haven't had any trouble finding the foods I ate today or the exercise I wanted to log.  You'll notice that I've added a ticker at the bottom of my blog's home page that shows how far I am in my weight loss (right now it show 0, but I'm looking forward to making it move).  The nice thing is that I don't just have to count walking or weight lifting as exercise to earn calories...I can even earn positive calories for playing my flute or time spent cooking.  It's also a bit of social networking because members are encouraged to friend each other for support.  If this sounds like something that would help you, feel free to look me up when you join.  My username is monsmusic.

One way I know I must be serious is that I just spent an hour in the kitchen chopping Twix candy bars up and making some bars to take to a cookie exchange and ALL of the leftovers are still downstairs in the kitchen.  I didn't even have a taste.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on not eating the leftovers! :) I don't know if you are familiar with the dieting website called '3 Fat Chicks'. I used it when I needed to lose weight and there was so much support, encouragement, and knowledge on that website that I loved it! I hope you check it out! :) God bless you with your plans! He helped me to lose 30 pounds! I know without Him there would be no way I could have done it because I don't have much willpower at all! But with God "all things are possible"! :)

    ReplyDelete