Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Prayers for Japan

Watching the disaster unfold in Japan has been awful.  First, because I have friends in Japan (I heard from them rather quickly...thank God for FaceBook) and then because the whole thing is awful to begin with and just keeps getting worse.  I get a lot of my news online...it takes me less than the 1/2 hour news program to skim through the headlines and read the articles/watch the videos that interest me.  In situations like this, I usually watch a lot of the coverage.  This time, though, watching those walls of water wipe away cars and houses that I know still had people in them once was more than enough.  I felt so ill, I've avoided the video clips ever since.

It is times like this that we see the best humanity has to offer, but unfortunately, we also often see the worst.  One family spent a day or so thinking their daughter was dead (she wasn't) because some hoaxer added her name to an online list of the dead.  News programs are already warning of scammers posing as charities to steal the money.  Honestly, I don't understand how people can do these things and sleep at night.  The company I prefer to give any donation I can to is Catholic Relief Services (because of their low overhead and high accountability).  They are BBB approved and were already in the region.  Their web page is http://crs.org/japan/.  You do not have to take my word for it.  The Compass Newspaper, published by the Diocese of Green Bay, provided the link.

I know I have readers in Japan (could just be my friends, but the numbers seem a little too high to be just two people).  Please know that our prayers are with you.  Stay safe and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment